SEO News Roundup for April 17, 2009
Posted By Joe On April 17, 2009 @ 2:11 pm In SEO News Roundup | No Comments
- If you’re driving yourself crazy trying to think of new SEO strategies to improve your natural rankings, look no further. SEOptimize has a post on their top 10 non-Google SEO strategies  that can help improve rankings and organic traffic. Some are obvious, others are things you may not have thought about that could help out your SEO efforts.
- There’s an interesting post on SEOmoz that’s getting a little heat. The writer expresses that in order to generate more ‘quality’ inbound links to your site, you could try desktop wallpapers, backdrops for iphones , etc. Most who have commented on the post disagree with these tactics and say desktop wallpapers probably won’t get you very high quality links. I have to agree, but I like the “outside the box” thinking from this guy anyway. Perhaps it would work for some industries.
- According to Search Engine Roundtable, Google is changing the way they display a referral string . Looking at the two strings comparatively, the new referral string may be a bit more difficult to analyze, but will make for more accurate reporting according to Brett Crosby, the man behind Google Analytics.
- Shari Thurow over at Search Engine Land has an interesting article on an SEO tactic that I don’t hear discussed much: navigational search optimization . Not sure that this is? That’s okay. Shari provides a good definition and also a robust list of tactics to optimize and enhance your navigational search opportunities.
- You thought that you’d left behind the high school mentality of “being popular” when you graduated. Not so. Let’s face, search engine rankings are just a popularity contest. However, the tactics to be popular that worked in high school are not going to make you cool with the search engines . PeterD at SEO Book has given us some tips on how to be popular now (even if we weren’t cool in high school).
- Some people say that you can never get too much of a good thing. And yet again others who would beg to differ. This week’s Whiteboard Friday at SEOmoz falls in the latter group – especially when talking about on-site over optimization . Rand explains the pitfalls of keyword stuffing, extraneous internal link practices and unnatural content and how you’re better off to optimize in moderation!
- Here comes the Law: the internet gets a little less Wild-Westy every day. PeterD at SEOBook discusses increased FTC and FDA regulation  of social media marketing and other online marketing in ways similar to their regulation of print media. The article is full of perspective on why this could be a good thing for those of us who aren’t having showdowns outside taverns anyway. I mean, for those of us who are trying to be honest and authentic in our marketing efforts anyway.
Article printed from The Adventures of SEO Boy®: http://www.seoboy.com
URL to article: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-roundup-for-april-17-2009/
URLs in this post:
 top 10 non-Google SEO strategies: http://www.seoptimise.com/blog/2009/04/10-non-google-seo-ways-to-promote-your-business-online-in-2009.html
 desktop wallpapers, backdrops for iphones: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/abstract-link-building-ideas-desktop-customization-sites
 display a referral string: http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/019836.html
 navigational search optimization: http://searchengineland.com/dont-forget-seo-for-navigational-searches-17369
 make you cool with the search engines: http://www.seobook.com/seo-popularity-and-way-forward
 on-site over optimization: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/whiteboard-friday-onsite-over-optimization
 increased FTC and FDA regulation: http://www.seobook.com/ftc-clamp-down-social-media-marketing
 SEO News Roundup for April 3, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-roundup-for-april-3-2009/
 SEO News Roundup for April 10, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-roundup-for-april-10-2009/
 SEO News Roundup for October 10, 2008: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-roundup-for-october-10-2008/
 SEO News Roundup for October 17, 2008: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-roundup-for-october-17-2008/
 SEO News Roundup for November 14, 2008: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-roundup-for-november-14-2008/
Click here to print.