- Jill Whalen posted an amusing list highlighting differences between web designer & SEO beliefs/methods at SearchEngineLand- mostly for fun I think, but as I was reading it I realized it actually does end up being a quick list of things to check/watch out for on the site(s) you’re SEOing.
- Thank you, Ann Smarty! Twenty three fabulous things you can do with Google Analytics, with explanations of how to actually do them. Just plain useful. Data makes decisions- but Analytics isn’t going to give you your data unless you “ask” for it, so learn how.
- Google has made some pretty significant changes to the search suggestion tool box, including site links and additional search suggestions. This change isn’t rolled out universally yet, but this post from Search Engine Watch gives a good top-level review of what you can expect.
- Ever heard of URL rewriting? Well, a lot of SEO’s participate in this practice to make human-friendly URL’s. Check out this post from YOUmoz and learn the basics behind successfully implementing a URL rewriting strategy.
- Danny Dover of SEOmoz talks about the ten resources that changed how he views the Internet. A few of which are Jimmy Whales explanation of Wikipedia success, Paris Hilton’s Fame, and the sale of YouTube to Google.
- In this week’s Whiteboard Friday, Rand discusses embedded content and linking strategies. Using embedded content like videos, widgets, badges, etc. is a great way to start building a network of links. Rand talks about some of the benefits and difficulties that you’ll face when trying to push your content out to the rest of the world.
- Can a search engine teach us how to search better to get better results? It’s very possible that Wolfram Alpha, the new non-search engine that Mashable is talking about may actually help people find what they’re looking for by making them type in the right question in the search box. Wolfram Alpha is a ‘computational knowledge search engine’. Some say this will be the next big thing, and the guys at Mashable are going to tell us 5 things Wolfram Alpha does better than Google.
- We all need extra juice now and then when it comes to SEO. And Search Engine People have posted the definitive guide to identify nofollow and ‘juiceless’ links. Can 45 Sphinns and 24 tweets be wrong? The post has some very helpful tips and advice on how to get the most juice flowing to your website.
Welcome to SEO Boy, the authority on search engine optimization -- how to articles, industry news, insider tips, and more! If you like what you see, you can receive free and daily updates via email or RSS.
SEO News Round Up for May 22, 2009