- Link building can be a trying and time consuming process for any SEO. This post from Search Engine Land discusses some of their tried-and-true strategies for indentifying traffic-driving and relevant niche directories for a site.
- Are you having trouble understanding the intent of 301 redirects? Want to know some new tidbits about how Google treats nofollows from authority sites? Get answers to these questions by watching Matt Cutts’ latest short videos on these topics.
- You’ve heard of the nofollow, you know what it is and when to use it, now it’s time to put it into practice. SEOZombie has a good post on how to create a nofollow as well as how to nofollow on navigation in wordpress. Nice post to refer back to if you need reminding of how to do this!
- SEO Scoop has a great post (with lots of sphinns) on how punctuation marks in your domain name can negatively affect your SEO strategy. Donna mentions that visitors may never get to see web pages you hoped would be search engine friendly if you have punctuation marks in your domain.
- Seems like we always focus on “positive” things you can do for your site (silly us!). Well, Gareth Davies has posted a summary of a presentation given by Michael Stebbins at SMX West titled, “15 Stupid Things You Can Do To Your Website.” This is a good list of things you shouldn’t do to your website. The topics range from site maps, to mass emails, to collecting data in your connect form.
- One question SEOs frequently ask is “how many links can I have on a single page?“ Matt Cutts answered this by discussing Google’s long-standing 100-links-per-page guideline. Basically, 100 is still a good number – but if you end up with more, be warned that Google may “choose not to follow or to index all those links.”
- This week Rand at SEOmoz was able to give a concrete example of the existence of Google’s Sandbox. The website Grader.com has had obvious signs of being hit with a penalty by Google. The most damning evidence? Despite a strong in-bound link profile and (toolbar) PageRank of 5, Google is ranking the site extremely low compared to the same search queries in Yahoo! and MSN/Live.
- We haven’t spoken much of image optimization, but this can be a useful way increase your website’s exposure and drive additional traffic. Brian Ussery has written a helpful article on image search and how you can better optimize your images for maximum results.
Welcome to SEO Boy, the authority on search engine optimization -- how to articles, industry news, insider tips, and more! If you like what you see, you can receive free and daily updates via email or RSS.
SEO News Round Up for March 13, 2009