SEO News Round Up for July 2, 2009
Posted By Jessica On July 2, 2009 @ 2:28 pm In SEO News Roundup | No Comments
- Also, Happy Canada Day (late…). This week James Chartrand at Copyblogger celebrated the practical, friendly mindset of Canada and bemoaned what it means for marketers (sad- it hurts your business to be obnoxious and unethical). Additionally, the post put “Blame Canada ” in my head for the rest of the morning, and I’d like to spread that little virus around.
- What does SEO have to do with Iran, Perez Hilton, and the US Open? The answer is relevancy. Frankie at Marketing Pilgrim has a great article  about virality, blogging as PR, and the importance of keeping your content connected to the current trends and goings-on in the world.
- Here’s some end-of-the-week humor. Do you Google someone before the first date? Do you have more logins than you do pairs of socks? Do you find it unimaginable to not rank first for your name? Well, my friend, you might just work in SEM. 
- Are you member of any professional organizations ? Are your clients? It’s something we don’t always think about from an SEO perspective, but Ron Kunitzky at Search Engine People gives us a bit of information about how to choose association memberships carefully and the benefits a good membership can provide. Always helps to think of more ways to interact within our industries!
- Just a bit of interesting news about a Bing-Twitter interaction  from Search Engine Watch: if Bing thinks you’re “important” your tweets might be featured above the search results. Most of us probably aren’t as important as Ashton Kutcher, and as such won’t be seeing our tweets there, but it’s a kind of cool new feature that could have the potential to integrate twitter and search for everyone…and to read Bing’s post about it , it seems that there might be potential for wider implementation in the future. Interesting.
- Some excellent advice for everyone doing SEO- whether for clients, themselves, or both: Rand Fishkin’s list of 12 important things  NOT to do if you want to find success & happiness in the SEO arena.
- Small business owners need to step up their game in the world of SEO and learn how to make their websites SEO ‘local’ friendly . This post has 44 resources (other blogs) that can help you learn how to make your own website more locally friendly in terms of SEO.
- Ever wonder if you should submit an XML sitemap for SEO? A real case study on GrayWolf’s blog  says that Michael himself created a new domain with minimal content containing no external links but an XML sitemap. Think the site got indexed? Sure did. Michael goes onto say that he thinks his experiment demonstrates the effectiveness of XML sitemaps, but not to ignore using anchor text of course.
Jessica is an Account Supervisor at Hanapin Marketing , a search engine marketing firm focused on generating results through PPC and SEO.
Article printed from The Adventures of SEO Boy®: http://www.seoboy.com
URL to article: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-round-up-for-july-2-2009/
URLs in this post:
 Blame Canada: http://www.copyblogger.com/blame-canada/
 . Frankie at Marketing Pilgrim has a great article: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2009/06/why-iran-perez-hilton-and-the-us-open-relate-to-seo.html
 you might just work in SEM.: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2009/06/you-know-you-work-in-search-when-you.html
 professional organizations: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/association-partnership.html
 Bing-Twitter interaction: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/090702-102802
 Bing’s post about it: http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/search/archive/2009/07/01/bringing-a-bit-of-twitter-to-bing.aspx
 12 important things: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/a-dozen-donts-for-seos
 websites SEO ‘local’ friendly: http://www.seoptimise.com/blog/2009/06/44-local-seo-search-resources-for-business.html
 GrayWolf’s blog: http://www.wolf-howl.com/seo/website-indexed-no-links/
 Hanapin Marketing: http://www.hanapinmarketing.com/
 SEO News Round Up for January 2, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-new-round-up-for-january-2-2009/
 SEO News Round Up for February 13, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-round-up-for-february-13-2009/
 SEO News Round Up for March 20, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-round-up-for-march-20-2009/
 SEO News Round Up for May 15, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-round-up-for-may-15-2009/
 SEO News Round Up for May 22, 2009: http://www.seoboy.com/seo-news-round-up-for-may-22-2009/
Click here to print.