- The Adventures of SEO Boy® - http://www.seoboy.com -
Google Announces Real Time Search Results, Image Matching, and SSO-Themed Chrome Plugins
Posted By Finn On December 9, 2009 @ 2:27 pm In Social Media & SEO | 2 Comments
Most companies, when they have news, products, or services that have the potential to change their industry, will “allow” bits and pieces of their story to be “leaked” in order to generate a buzz. Then those companies will spread out their news over the course of days so as to maximize the media benefit of their news.
Leave it to Google to hold an event, invite the media, be mum about the details, and then bum-rush the industry by introducing several game-changing products, tools, and services, all in just under 48 hours.
On Monday, the who’s-who of the Search Engine Marketing industry were in attendance for the Google Search Event, held at the Computer History Museum in Google’s hometown of Mountain View, CA. As one could imagine, the event was filled with announcements of industry changing technologies, all in various stages of development. And though I was impressed by all the news coming out of Mountain View, a few highlights stuck out in my mind:
1) Google Goggles:  The beginning of visual search capabilities has come to mobile applications. Admittedly still in its infancy, Google Goggles will be able to identify pictures you provide and give incredible information. One example they give is getting reviews on wine by taking a picture of the label.
At this point, Google Goggles probably won’t be able to do much if you give it a picture of your missing cat, but the hope is that in the near future the ability for the application to identify items that aren’t as commonly known.
Google Goggles, at the moment, is only available on the Android, but in time the app will be available on other platforms.
2) Web Toolkit additions: as reported on TechCrunch , Google announced during their Campfire One event the following evening that their Web Toolkit has been fitted with tools that will help clean a site’s code and improve upload time. Those items include Speed Tracer, Code Splitter, and UiBinder. These tools only add speculation to the widespread belief that SSO is going to become more than just a conditional factor  in Google’s search algorithm in 2010.
3) Real-Time Search Results: Though the news had been announced before, what caught my attention was in how social media platform results have been added to the results.
In the “Show options” tab above Google SERPs, an Update category has been added. Click on the update and you’ll see real time results from platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
At this time, Google won’t tell you if the updates come from apps or from the websites and there seems to still be a couple kinks to be worked about between Google and Twitter, but overall, with the latest round of free tools, Google looks prepared to keep its strangle-hold grip on the search engine market in 2010 and beyond.
Article printed from The Adventures of SEO Boy®: http://www.seoboy.com
URL to article: http://www.seoboy.com/google-announces-real-time-search-results-image-matching-and-sso-themed-chrome-plugins/
URLs in this post:
 1) Google Goggles:: http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/#landmark
 Web Toolkit additions: as reported on TechCrunch: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/08/google-speed-tracer/
 SSO is going to become more than just a conditional factor: http://www.seoboy.com/could-sso-site-speed-optimization-become-the-next-big-onsite-optimization-focus/
 Learn How to Use the New Canonical Tag and Other META Tags to Control Your SEO Search Results: http://www.seoboy.com/use-new-canonical-tag-and-other-meta-tags-to-control-seo-search-results/
 5 Helpful SEO Firefox Plugins: http://www.seoboy.com/5-helpful-seo-firefox-plugins/
 Recap of This Week’s Flurry of Changes in Google Search: http://www.seoboy.com/recap-of-this-weeks-flurry-of-changes-in-google-search/
 Local Marketers Take Note: It’s Time to Review Your Local Search Strategies: http://www.seoboy.com/local-marketers-take-note-its-time-to-review-your-local-search-strategies/
 It’s Time to Migrate Feedburner to Google: http://www.seoboy.com/its-time-to-migrate-feedburner-to-google/
Copyright © 2008 The Adventures of SEO Boy. All rights reserved.