- The Adventures of SEO Boy® - http://www.seoboy.com -
8 Most Popular and Useful Google Commands and Operators
Posted By Amber On June 2, 2009 @ 1:33 pm In Basic SEO Tips | 3 Comments
In order to move forward, you need to know where you’ve been in the past and where you are in the present. Google commands helps you learn how your website is currently indexed, who is linking to your pages, which pages you are linking to and much, much more.
In this post, I’ll tell you the most popular and most useful Google search commands  that will help you determine where you are in terms of your SEO efforts, then you can figure how to best move forward.
1. Site: The Google site command will show you all the URL’s within the domain you specify. This allows you to see all of the pages that Google has indexed within your site. Not only will this command show you the exact URL’s that are indexed but it will also give you the total number of pages that are indexed by Google. Just type in the Google search, site:yourdomain.com to get this information.
2. Related: this is probably one of my favorite Google commands for link building purposes. If you type in related:yourdomain.com, the search results will show you a wide range of related websites that contain the same keywords as your site. This is helpful when it’s time to find relevant websites for link building.
3. cache: The cache:yourdomain.com will show you all of the URL’s from your site that Google currently has in it’s cache from the last time it crawled and indexed your site.
4. Allintitle: The allintitle command, allintitle:wood working will show you all of the URL’s that contain both of those keywords in the title of a web page.
5. AllinURL: The command, allinURL:wood working is similar to the allintitle command except that it looks for and will show you results of that keyword in a domain only.
6. Link: The link command is one of the more popular and useful commands. If you search for link:petfood.com, Google will show you a good majority of the webpages that have links pointing to the specified domain.
7. Info: The info command will show you information about a particular domain. The information such as Google cache, webpages that are similar, webpages that link to your domain, webpages that you link to and webpages that actually contain your domain name listed. So this is almost a one-stop-shop for a few of the most useful Google commands.
8. Define: Another cool command for link building – if you’re looking for related websites for a particular keyword, you can type in quotation marks around your keyword like this: “Iams cat food”, and a list of websites will show that contain that exact keyword.
Note that there are more Google site commands as well as Yahoo commands . However, I have listed the most used here that can help you in your SEO endeavors. By using the information from the commands mentioned above, you’ll be able to set a starting point and move forward from there. Each week/month/year you’ll be able to see how far you’ve grown or not when it comes to your SEO strategy.
Article printed from The Adventures of SEO Boy®: http://www.seoboy.com
URL to article: http://www.seoboy.com/8-most-popular-and-useful-google-commands-and-operators/
URLs in this post:
 Google search commands: http://www.creativeconfusion.net/search_engines/google-commands.html
 Yahoo commands: http://www.searchcommands.com/yahoo/
 Top 3 Most Popular Paid Directories for Link Building: http://www.seoboy.com/top-3-most-popular-paid-directories-for-link-building/
Copyright © 2008 The Adventures of SEO Boy. All rights reserved.